23 March 2015

WHY DIRECTORS ARE MARCHING IN THE NDA

The University of Sydney Union will be hosting a contingent at the National Union of Students' National Day of Action (NDA) this Wednesday 25 March. We’ll be meeting in front of Fisher Library and celebrating the (second!) failure of deregulation in the Senate and fighting against the ongoing attacks on higher education.
Here are just a few reasons Directors are marching:


"I’m marching because the fight isn’t over – while we’ve staved off deregulation for the meantime, TAFE students in NSW are facing some of the worst cuts to their education in the foreseeable past. A $140 air-conditioning diploma has ballooned out to over $1000 – it’s just not fair"
ALISHA AITKEN-RADBURN - BOARD DIRECTOR

"I'm marching because I'm fucking sick of students being the fall guy for budget savings - whether it is fee deregulation or cuts to income support payments, we are seeing one bad policy after another! We should be investing more into higher education and supporting our brightest minds to pursue their career goals - this is why we need to demand a better future!"
ROBBY MAGYAR - HONORARY TREASURER

"I'm marching because privilege shouldn't be the barrier between anyone and an education"
LIV RONAN - BOARD DIRECTOR

"I'm marching because if education is to be the 'great equaliser' it must be equally accessible by all"
TIM MATTHEWS - BOARD DIRECTOR

"I'm marching because education is our most precious resource and there is such thing as society Thatcher, soz darl!"
LIAM CARRIGAN - BOARD DIRECTOR/QUEER PORTFOLIO HOLDER

"I'm marching because Michael Spence continues to lobby for changes that students and the public have thoroughly rejected. He claims to speak on our behalf and I want to show the public and the Parliament that he does not" ED McMAHON - BOARD DIRECTOR/SUSTAINABILITY PORTFOLIO HOLDER

"I'm marching because Pyne makes me drown my sorrows in alcohol" 
EVE RADUNZ - HONORARY SECRETARY

"I'm marching because I believe in equality and justice, and education is the precursor to a society which supports and nurtures all."
TARA WANIGANAYAKA - PRESIDENT


"I'm marching because if Pyne increases university degrees to $100,000- the gender pay gap (which under this Government is the largest it has been in decades) means wom*n will be paying their HECS debt off for 17 years longer! This crisis in education has even further-reaching consequences than we imagined."
KATE BULLEN - BOARD DIRECTOR/WOM*N'S PORTFOLIO HOLDER



Will you join us?

BOARD OF DIRECTORS 
UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY UNION

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-5126621-7